Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Book Review "Peace Is Every Step"

Seems silly to be doing a book review when I haven't even finished reading the book.

But, I have to tell you, this book is perfect in it's simplicity.

Homicide grief for me has been very complicated. I've suffered from depression in the past and it's been difficult for me to tell the difference between clinical depression and homicide grief.

And it makes you wonder how to treat it or if treatment is necessary. Personally, I've shied away from anti-depressants throughout all this. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. There is no right or wrong. We're all different and what benefits me may not benefit you and vice versa.

Be that as it may I've shied away from meds. I've been on them before and they messed me up.

Therefore, I've been looking for alternatives ways to feel better. As I mentioned in my last post, I've shied away from my bike and just look at it with a big yawn. I don't exercise the way I should and my diet is terrible.

I've got to do something. Anyhow, a friend living in Chicago sent me this book "Peace Is Every Step". (He also sent a DVD of Artur Rubinstein playing in Moscow, 1964. Bliss!)

Anyhow, the Rubinstein was a great gift but the book is perfect. I can utilize what the book is teaching me anywhere at anytime. I'm thinking if I practice it enough it will surely help me when it comes time for the trial.

I've only gotten through the first few chapters. I can't seem to get any farther I'm enjoying the beginning chapters too much. It's a very thin book and therefore non intimidating. (I don't have the attention span since the murder for thick books). The chapters are barely 2 pages long. It was written by a Vietnamese monk and he teaches how not to over think. He says thinking is good but too much thinking can be unhealthy. Something I've been saying since my daughter in law died. He teaches (at least in the first few chapters) how to breath and how to smile. If we concentrate on those two simple things, we'll think less often and it'll be easier to relax and "enjoy the moment".

Homicide's create chaos for all involved. I don't think a person can go through anything more chaotic and unbearable than homicide grief. It affects the entire family in different ways. It creates dysfunction throughout the family and among friends. I've often described my feelings as the Bermuda Triangle of feelings. If we are what we think, than there's nothing worse than homicide grief. Maybe suicide grief. I don't know. That would be terrible. The loss of a child. Terrible. The loss of two children playing in a trunk (which happened near here recently) has to be unbearable.

In all these heartbreaking scenarios, simplicity seems to be a start to an answer in healing. At least it is for me now after more than a year of this madness. And it is madness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried St. John's Wort? It is supposed to be one of the most effective natural ingredients for treating depression. The active ingredients in St. John's Wort are believed to naturally boost serotonin levels, which helps lift spirits and ease depression.

Passion flower is also a natural ingredient that is often used to treat sleep disorders and anxiety. It helps to soothe and calm, and when combined with St. John's Wort can be a wonderful aid in treating depression naturally.
Also, Sam - E? I have heard works for serotonin levels.
There is also "rescue remedy" it is a botanical flower essences spray {much like a breath spray}
works for many things and is all natural.
The bottom line is that you may feel a "little " more at ease with anything you try- but what you are feeling is completely normal for everything you have been through. I do hope you find something that helps. {{{hugs}}}